Monday, October 26, 2009

another day

Haven´t blogged for a while because it has been a bit repetative at work, but had an interesting day today. I started out with a few patients and evaluated their growth and development... nothing to exciting to write about, but then I was put in charge of the vaccines, so I gave quite a bunch of them today. Of all kinds as well, IM, SC, and ID... it has been really nice to practice all of the different types of adminstration. I was bringing a chart to a different area, and one of the nurses in a different area stopped me and asked if I wanted to stay with her a bit. The area that she worked in is what they call ¨topica¨. I am not sure what it actually means, but it is like a tiny emergency room. They literally have like 8 patients a day, but it is more interesting than just the nurses station with the growth and development. This lady came in with a prescription from the doctor for a medicine for nausea. This medication comes in an ampule that has to be administered by the nurse or nurse´s tech. She let me do it, so I got to give a 3cc IM injection in the gluteal muscle of this lady, I felt bad because I used a 20G needle which is quite big, so it looked like that would have hurt quite a bit.
About 10 minutes after that, this guy with a drain coming out of a hole in his back came in to get it changed. The hole was about 1cm and the doctor explained that it was from this huge cyst that was popped three weeks ago. They put a drain in it and he gets it changed every week or so. the drain they used was just a cut up glove that was sterilized and put in his large hole up his spine. I got to clean out the wound as well as help push the drain up. When it was over, I was
dressed it and taped it up... actually with the tape I brought from home because it was stronger. Anyways, it was a pretty cool day

No comments:

Post a Comment