Friday, September 18, 2009

another day


Hello again... it has been a decent couple of days. I have been taking spanish classes everyday for the last week and a half, so my spanish is coming a bit. When I first arrived here, I knew almost no spanish, so I have improved quite a bit. My family took me out for a fun night the other night. It was someones birthday and that was a blast. It was sort of a clown theme dance club which was interesting. Here is a picture of my family. Anyways, at work I have been doing a lot of vaccines and assessing the growth and development of the children. It has been interesting. I am still getting used to the language, but it has been really cool to help the nurses with their tasks. I have also put in a few molar sealants on the teeth of the children in the school near the center that I work in. I am really excited for next week though because we are going to talk to the children in the school about the H1N1 virus and handwashing which is important for the spread of the virus. It is amazing how little the children here know about hygiene. Half of the children have teeth that are rotting out of their mouths or missing teeth that are supposed to be there. They also do not know much about handwashing so it will be interesting to teach them how to properly wash their hands. There are also soooo many stray dogs around that the children play with in the school, that probably have other things that can be spread therefore reduced with handwashing. Anyways, I will keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to hear from you, Alli! I've never blogged before, so I don't know what I am doing. It sounds like you are adjusting to Peru. I think it is going to be a great experience!! Keep us posted.
    Debbie H.

    ReplyDelete