Friday, September 25, 2009

finally useful

I finally felt useful today at work. I was able to assess 13 of my own patients today. The nurses were understaffed a bit today so I got my own patients and was responsible for assessing their growth and development. The children ranged from 10 days old to three years old. Luckily for me (and them) they were all within normal ranges of height and weight and development. I also got to practice my spanish quite a bit to try and tell the mothers of the children what to work on for the next check up. I also learned how to sterilize gauze by folding it up and making handmade packages with paper to put them in the sterilizer. It was actually interesting. I then got to watch the doctor there (who spoke english) sew up this man´s hand who had cut it open pretty bad. That was also cool and reminded me of the ER a bit. Anyways, today was the first day that I finally felt useful. I suppose I should wish for it to be understaffed more often. haha. Well off to Ica and Nazca for the weekend!! I am excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment