Tuesday, September 22, 2009

pigs and vaccines

Well it was quite an interesting day. I have to say that this was the most productive day that have had here. Three nurses and I actually took like two hundred and fifty vaccines to a pig slaughtering factory and gave them out in the locker room. It was quite different than what I am used to. We just sort of set up shop in the coed locker room and waited until all the workers came through so we could vaccinate them against Hep B, tetnus/diptheria and influenza. I have to say that they treated us really great. There was a lady that came around to give us breakfast which consisted of meat empanadas (I learned that we were in a pig slaughtering place after I had already consumed the empanada) and this strawberry smoothie thing. I have also learned that my stomach is still trying to get used to the Peruvian cuisine. Although it usually tastes great, it occasionally does not feel that great.
Anyway, I got to draw up over 100 vaccines and I was able to give about 60 of them. I am still learning how to document using the paperwork that they use here (due to my lack of Spanish). It was definatly an interesting day. They fed us a really great lunch too which took me a bit to figure out what it was exactually (pretty sure it was pork), but it was good especially since I was hungry. Tomorrow I am going to the obstetrician section which should be interesting if I can understand anything, it would be cool to see a birth though.

No comments:

Post a Comment